1/31/2012 11:26 AM
21.25" tall, 8 lb even, 14.25" head circumference
He was born at home with our Naturopathic Physician Dr. Jeff Wright and an assistant, Jennifer.
Some pictures for you.
And a story for you, too.
I had crampy days for the week leading
up to the birth, and kept warning the doctor (Jeff Wright) that we
may be near. But no. We had a cleared calendar on Monday, and used a
few gentle induction techniques Sunday night. I was hopeful for
Monday, but it wasn't to be on Monday, and after some thought came to
a good place and decided that he'd come when he was ready.
Monday night John crashed on the couch
for a few hours before bed, and we went to bed a bit late. I slept
from 1-5, then awoke hungry, despite the big dinner we had and snack
at midnight. I had a snack from my nightstand stash at 5 and slept on
and off till 7 or so, when I urgently needed to use the bathroom
several times, and figured out that what I was feeling was
contractions. I counted 6 doozies between 7:30 and 8:30am, then
texted Jeff and told him I'd call in half an hour. I listened to some
hypnosis and talked to the doctor shortly after 9am. We chatted and
decided he best head out. I texted him at 9:45 to tell him that
things were getting intense, and that there was some vomiting.
In the meantime, Ian awoke about 9, and
we snuggled for a few minutes as I got him excited about an impromptu
play date. I asked my mom to get him ready to go, and by 9:30 I was
encouraging them to truncate breakfast and get out the door. John was
running around and helping me, as well. We went downstairs and John
got started with the birth tub, and I went straight for the hot tub.
Remind me to never have a child without a hot tub at the ready. It
was essential in both of my births so far!
I labored in the hot tub outside while
John and my mom worked on the birth tub inside. It was a beautifully
sunny, mild winter day. As I had a quiet moment to myself in the hot
tub, enjoying the hot water, a couple of house finches stopped by to
say hello, landing on the cover to the hot tub a few feet away. For
some contractions, John helped by pushing on my back. Roscoe (the
cat) even helped me relax through a few contractions while I
scratched his head. I leaned over the side of the hot tub on my knees
for most of the time I spent outside.
Finally a note from Jeff after 10:30
that he was nearby. I was feeling like we were getting close, so I
was glad to see him drive up the driveway about 10:50. He brought an
assistant, Jen, who is training to be a midwife and has completed EMT
training. I asked him to head inside and her to stay with me. Mom and
John were a bit stumped about the fact that the hot water heater was
empty and the birth tub was half full. Jeff got them going dumping
hot tub water into the birth tub. With stock pots in hand, they
transferred water quickly. I watched Jeff's dress
shoes go back and forth during contractions. I was given the ok to
get into the birth tub, and it wasn't a moment too soon.
Jen, John and Jeff worked on pushing on
my hips, in addition to pressure points on my back, as I continued on
my knees, with my head and arms on the side of the tub. Jeff checked
at that point, 8cm and +2 station, he announced. Then I announced
that there was a pop and a gush and the water broke. Knowing it was
about to get intense, I was starting to feel like I didn't want to do
this. The hip pushes, however, were like opening a door, and he
crowned very quickly. I think that the deeper water of this tub (as
compared to the kiddy pool that we had with Ian's birth) helped me to
be a bit more vertical and reduced the discomfort and tearing in the
front. I still needed some support there, as he was coming so
quickly. Once his head was out, I was asked to push him out quickly,
as the cord was short and he wasn't able to get it off of his neck.
The pushing phase couldn't have been more than 15 minutes, and there
were about 3 pushes to get him out.
He didn't start breathing right away,
so Jeff used the bulb syringe to clear out his throat. He did use a
bit of oxygen to make sure he was ok as he got started. Apgars were
7, 10. After he got going, he stuck his tongue out right away, and
screamed a bit for us. I held him and we chatted for a bit, then we
felt it was a good time, John cut the cord and John, Mom, Jen and
Wyatt went to the other room to rub in the vernix, towel him off, and
let me deliver the placenta. When I was done with that and
comfortably dried off and in bed, they brought Wyatt back to me, and
he latched on without any help from me, and nursed for an hour and a
half. I laid in bed and snuggled my new boy as everyone else cleaned
up, fed me, did checks and paperwork, did anything I asked of them,
then people left and we napped. John went to get Ian about 3pm, and
Ian came in and out as Wyatt and I relaxed and mom and John made
dinner and wrangled a toddler. Truly a beautiful Birth Day!
Many thanks to Jeff and his team for excellent and gentle prenatal care and labor/delivery care and support!
Many thanks to Jeff and his team for excellent and gentle prenatal care and labor/delivery care and support!
2 comments:
What great color for a newborn! He's really beautiful. What does Ian think of him by now? Is he helping out?
New pictures please! He's probably changed a bunch.
Post a Comment